Government Relations Executive
The British Fashion Council (BFC) is a not-for-profit organisation existing to further the interests of the British fashion industry and its designer businesses by harnessing and sharing collective knowledge, experience and resources of the sector. Formed in 1983, the BFC is funded by industry patrons, commercial sponsors, and the government including the Mayor of London and the ERDF. It leads the industry through creative influence and is strategically repositioning British fashion in the global fashion economy.
The BFC encourages a culture which empowers, values, nurtures, supports and rewards its employees and promotes a positive environment with a focus on team collaboration and open communication.
The BFC is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer. Diversity, Equality and Inclusion. They’re more than just words. We are inclusive. We celebrate and champion multiple approaches and points of view.
We believe diversity drives innovation. So together we’re building a culture where difference is valued. Our commitment to inclusion drives us forward every day internally and externally.
Everyone is welcome, as an inclusive workplace the BFC encourages our employees to bring their true self to work and we commit to develop your skills and advance your careers in a culture of creativity.
The British Fashion Council Government Relations Team is looking for a driven, hardworking, and efficient Government Relations Executive.
The BFC receives government funding from the Department for International Trade (DIT), European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and the Mayor of London (MOL). The funding enables the BFC to support the fashion industry more fully, to strengthen the content and international profile of platforms such as London Fashion Week, and to raise the profile and impact of British designers.
The Government Relations Team is responsible for the day-to-day operational requirements of managing the funding. The Executive will report to the Government Relations Manager.
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
- Co-ordinate submission of quarterly claims: work with finance team to track invoice, compile transaction listings, write quarterly reports and ensure on time submission
- Work with Business Development & Designer Relations Team on collection of outputs evidence
- Manage procurement process and maintain register
- Collation of other required evidence including procurement, marketing, and State Aid
- Support Manager to ensure requirements are met for Article 13 and 16 delivery and compliance of audit trails
- Input into project evaluations and case studies
- Co-ordinate and attend internal and external update meetings
Mayor of London (MOL)
- Compile quarterly financial claims and reports
- Complete quarterly targets dashboard
- Assist Manager with negotiating grant agreements, compiling budgets etc
- London Fashion Showcasing Fund: managing applications; issuing contracts; reporting and invoicing; meeting with funding recipients; updating application pack
- Undertake backstage checks at London Fashion Week to ensure well-being of models
Department for International Trade (DIT):
- Liaise with colleagues to collect stats for government funded event reports
- Track and report export sales targets
- Support Manager with requests for information, as required
Project and Financial Management
- Accountable for follow-through and implementation of project management and compliance for all projects, with impeccable accuracy
- Supports Manager in the continuous development of BFC procedural project management ‘manual’, by helping establish and maintain streamlined systems and processes to monitor delivery and contract compliance and drafting policies and templates as required
- Liaising with key government contacts and with BFC staff for information, facts and statistics to create reports, ensure BFC staff compliance with funding requirements (e.g. via training sessions).
- Monitor and track critical paths to meet deadlines
- Provide support on budget monitoring, creating invoices and processing payments with the internal Finance Team
- Processing Tier 5 Visa Applications and working with DCMS to process Quarantine Exemption requests
- Maintain and update government contacts in BFC’s CRM database
- Issue invites and maintain guestlists for LFW, Fashion Awards etc
- Provide support on compiling team presentations
Requirements & Key Attributes - Skills & Requirements
- Results driven with a commitment to working to high standards.
- Absolute attention to detail when collating, reviewing and reporting data in spreadsheets, reports and presentations
- Confidence in level of authority and decision-making skills, can prioritise tasks
- Highly driven and results focused with commitment to working to high standards
- Excellent relationship and communication skills, dealing with the highest levels, ability to quickly establish rapport and gain buy in and achieve delivery
- Dynamism, personal energy and tenacity, balanced with gravitas, credibility and a mature approach
- Confident, highly organised, ability to use initiative and be pro-active
- Resolves complaints and can trouble-shoot with designers, external bodies, consultants, funders, sponsors etc with empathy and in a conciliatory manner
- Promotes a positive, professional image in the office, and at company events
- Takes ownership, is focussed and accountable to meet deadlines and complete actions
- Represents the BFC and acts as an ambassador at events, corporate initiatives
Professional Experience & Skills
- Proven experience in grants/funding, essential
- Understanding of compliance and principles of rules of funding, essential
- Knowledge of grants including process, compilation of claims and spreadsheets
- Project management, in particular coordinate and monitor budgets, monitor deliverables, critical paths, risks, managing information flow and communication as appropriate
- Knowledge of European funding, highly desirable
- Knowledge of local government working practices and requirements, essential
- Excellent written and spoken level of English, essential
- Strong analytical, IT, Powerpoint and Excel skills, essential
Salary & Benefits
- Job type: Full-time maternity cover
- Salary: dependent on experience
- Standard company benefits, including 25 days annual holiday and summer working hours
- Summer working hours (July & August)
- Standard company working hours, flexibility required during events, exhibitions, etc.
- Confirmation of appointment and eligibility to benefits, subject to successful completion of 1-month probationary period
- The BFC is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer
- This salary is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). This is due to the BFC being a recipient of ERDF funds.
How To Apply
- Candidates should apply in writing with a covering letter highlighting your relevant experience for this role, attaching your CV and salary expectations to email@example.com with ‘Government Relations Executive’ in the subject
- Application closing date: Friday 26th November 2021
- Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK
- Unfortunately, the BFC is unable to respond personally to candidates that do not meet the mandatory criteria
- Successful candidates will be notified in writing and invited for an interview.