In order to be considered for the BFC/GQ Designer Fashion Fund applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should have an established designer fashion business that has been actively trading for a minimum of 3 years, at the time of applications closing (5th January 2024).
- The applicant's collection should consist primarily of menswear and/or menswear accessories. All gender collections are eligible. Collections should not primarily consist of womenswear or childrenswear.
- The applicant’s company should be based in the United Kingdom and registered with Companies House (not sole trader).
- The applicant's company should be majority-owned by the Creative Director/Designer. (No less than 75% of the business is owned by the Founder(s)/Designer(s) and immediate family.)
- Applicants should have a minimum of 10 international and UK stockists and/or sell direct-to-consumer. (DTC-only brands should have been trading via their own ecommerce or social media channels for at least 2 years and have minimum £100,000 annual sales.)
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate support from both UK and international media.
- Applicants can apply up to 5 times.
- The award can only be won once, but applicants can reapply if they have been shortlisted previously and not won.
- Applicants currently in NEWGEN first year or second year are not eligible. Only brands currently in their third year of NEWGEN can apply. Brands that have never been in NEWGEN must still adhere to 3+ years in business criteria.
Applications will be reviewed against the following areas:
- Creative merit: demonstrating a strong aesthetic and point of difference.
- Contribution of brand and designer to UK fashion ecosystem and how they have given back with their time/resources.
- The level and quality of stockists both international and UK; and/or proven direct- to- consumer sales channels.
- The level and quality of international and UK media recognition.
- The applicant’s ability to demonstrate a clear vision on how the Fund will contribute to the long-term viability of their business.
- Applicants who produce fashion shows are advised to show at London Fashion Week if applicable.
- The applicant’s demonstration of how they are addressing the three pillars of Positive Fashion: Environment, People and Community & Craftsmanship.
- Quality and completeness of application form.
Applications are now open, click here to apply. Deadline to apply is 5th January 2024, 5pm GMT.
Applicants will be asked to submit the following information with their application:
- Company information
- Look book from the last two collections
- Latest press book
- Two industry referees (buyer and/or press)
- Financial information (1. Financial Summary Template, 2. Cash flow statement)* Click here to download the guidelines. If you are having problems downloading the financial templates please click here. The prize money is £100,000, please use this figure when filling out the cash flow template, as explained in the guidelines.
- Most recent end of year accounts (PDF)
- A short statement on how you are addressing the three pillars of Positive Fashion: Environment, People and Community & Craftsmanship
- Plan for the development of your business
*If you are having trouble downloading the excel documents, please try the following steps:
-Hard refresh your browser.
-Clear your cache.
-Open the webpage on another browser for example chrome, firefox, safari.
Applicants who fail to complete the form correctly and supply all requested information will be removed from the process.
Applicants will be asked to complete equal opportunities information about their business, their staff and themselves, this information will be kept on file for internal use only and will not form part of the judging process.
- Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted by a judging committee chaired by GQ Deputy Global Editorial Director and Head of Editorial Content, UK, Adam Baidawi, and CEO of the British Fashion Council, Caroline Rush CBE, alongside industry experts and funding representatives.
- Applicants will be informed if they have been shortlisted in February 2024.
- The Shortlist will be interviewed by the Fund judging committee in May 2024.
For inquiries please contact: